Friday, September 13, 2013

TIFF'13: Man of Tai Chi


7/10 stars
I had the ultimate pleasure in viewing this film on an IMAX screen at this year's Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF). I am a huge fan of Keanu Reeves ( Matrix' 97, The Lake House)  as well Asian-influenced films. This was Keanu Reeves 1st directorial debut and of course I was eager to see it! First off, I was scared I wouldn't even get tickets and it would be sold out, phewf! Glad I crossed that obstacle!

The movie was brilliant. 

Now let's take a step back and understand why.

Other critics have given this film an average of 6/10 stars rating. And I can understand why to a certain extent. The story line towards the end and the ending it self seems to be rushed. I felt like the plot lacked depth towards the end. However that being said, After Keanu personally explained in greater detail the ending (answer to an audience's question) It made more sense. I just wished that the same answer Keanu gave was executed a bit better in the film.

The editing was extremely well done. The cinematography, the lighting, the score music....ooo the score music was great! I will definitely be looking for it shortly. My fave scene by far was when Tiger Chan was battling 2 components on stage with the club lighting; The shadows of the actors painted  beautifully on screen. But the acting....

ACTING WAS ON POINT.

KEANU REEVES and Co-star TIGER CHEN (Keanu's Kung Fu coach from the Matrix) were outstanding. Keanu Reeves (who plays Donaka) played a very dark role, it was truly a sight to see. Tiger Chen's Tai Chi skills, as well as his masters were phenomenal. His character evolves as his chi becomes out of balance and takes the lead. You see his chi consume him.

Overall, the film had a really deep message in the end and makes one truly reflect upon their actions and the path they choose in life. This is one of those films that requires a watch throw more than once. I intend to watch it once more hopefully it will be released soon at the box office.

Keanu I applaud you for your directorial debut. It was a great start and I look forward to see your future projects.

P.S Keanu Reeves and Tiger Chen did a Q&A at our screening of Man of Tai Chi at TIFF!!! SO EXCITING. SO UNEXPECTED.

Keanu's next film as he stars as a samurai. Releases in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment